SyntHEX is a high performance software for the development of optimal heat recovery concepts even for the most complex processes. It assists engineers in the energetic analysis of process engineering systems and automatically generates concept alternatives for optimal heat integration. The implemented genetic algorithms, whose selection principle always evolves only the best solution, accomplish a particularly powerful optimization process. SyntHEX can be applied to any process engineering system that must be additionally heated and cooled. The simulation software is available for Windows, Linux and Mac OSX.
SyntHEX advantages at a glance
- The planning and optimization of process heat streams using SyntHEX minimize investment and energy costs
- SyntHEX provides optimal solutions with sub-networks, which can be easily integrated into existing processes, without increasing the susceptibility to failure
- SyntHEX is suitable for the optimization of existing and new installations
- SyntHEX increases process’s energy efficiency. Thus, it contributes to climate protection
SyntHEX is so powerful that you will reduce your capital and operating costs compared to conventional methods by up to 25 percent
In a benchmark test, based on reference examples, with the classic Pinch-Method, SyntHEX determines clearly more economical concepts for heat exchanger networks (refer to VDI Heat Atlas, edition 11, chapter C5, 2013). These are characterized by the fact that they work with numerous sub-networks. Moreover, the number of required heat exchangers is much smaller than the one determined by the Pinch-Method. Therefore, costs are reduced and a simpler process control is achieved.
Important Characteristics of SyntHEX
Aspects that are reproduced in SyntHEX algorithms
- Economic parameters such as investment costs (heat exchanger) and operating costs (energy demand)
- Different computation methods for individual heat exchangers. This allows the consideration of special requirements for individual equipment’s process streams
- Process flexibility
- Safety aspects with regard to both product streams of heat exchangers
- Production processes are analyzed as an entity. Hence, higher susceptibility to failure due to excessive process integration is avoided
Parameters which take into consideration project’s particularities
- Desired inlet and outlet temperature for all product streams
- U-values for each heat exchanger
- Heat capacity flows
- Investment costs for heat exchangers (incl. government grants)
- Consumption costs for heat exchangers (incl. CO2 certificates)
- Heat exchanger costs regarding type of heat exchangers and costs of employed material
SyntHEX® is a registered trademark of XRG Simulation GmbH.
SyntHEX was developed in a research project under collaboration with the Institute for Process and Plant Engineering of the Hamburg's University of Technology.
The ZIM-Project with the grant identification number KF2629301 was funded by the Federal Ministry of Economics and Technology and ran out on 15.12.2012.